AndreaPlanet.com - My door always open to you * Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: priority map
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:40 am 

Hello!
First of all congratulations on your show!
Would be nice to be able to define the major areas of an image with an image input is a "priority map"
Thanks, affection
Gabriel

Post subject: Re: priority map
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:17 am 
Fan

galvarez wrote:
Hello!
First of all congratulations on your show!
Would be nice to be able to define the major areas of an image with an image input is a "priority map"
Thanks, affection
Gabriel

+1
Not always are the most important Features in the middle of the Image. Being able to provide something like an Alpha channel would help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Actually you can specify some parameter about priority changes.
See Advanced Options --> Tile Area Priority --> center small, center wide, average, edge, etc.

It could be interesting to submit an image with the priority map (based on grayscale levels for example). Not sure how much it would be worth. The program tries to find the best tiles for an overall quality. You may can test the options above and give a feedback about the results.

Note: Priority has technically sense only if you avoid tile duplication.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:35 pm 
Fan

Andrea wrote:
Actually you can specify some parameter about priority changes.
See Advanced Options --> Tile Area Priority --> center small, center wide, average, edge, etc.

It could be interesting to submit an image with the priority map (based on grayscale levels for example). Not sure how much it would be worth. The program tries to find the best tiles for an overall quality. You may can test the options above and give a feedback about the results.

Note: Priority has technically sense only if you avoid tile duplication.

Avoiding tile duplication is always important for me (I use a distance of 25 pictures). And then you definitely want to be sure that the important areas of your main picture get to use the best-fitting tiles.

I know of the Tile Area Priority parameters. But what I'd really like to be able to do is to give your program an additional greyscale image where e.g. eyes, nose and mouth of the portraied person are in white, the contour of the face is in middle grey and all the rest is in black. Then AndreaMosaic would know that I'd want the optimization of the eyes weighted with a priority of 100%, and the outline of the face weighted with 50%. Your program could also use this information to find the areas where tiles of 50% size should be used (something that definitly does not work very well with Tile Area Priority at the moment, where the smaller tiles sometimes sit clustered in a corner of the image).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

A new version 3.35.5 is available:

In Advanced Settings, set Tile Priority Area = custom.
It will ask for an image that will used for custom tile priority. Black = maximum priority, 12x boost. White = minium priority, dropped to 0.05x.

In Advanced Settings, new option Tile Split
You can select which tiles are split. Based on Priority, Quality or a mix of both parameters. If you set Priority and use a custom Tile Priority Area then you practically have a fine tine option for which tiles are split. (For tiles with same priority, quality is considered as a second choice).

Several more improvements and bug fixes too are in this release. There was a bug in the Tile Split feature, as you noted, it was choosing tiles in the edge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:40 pm 
Fan

Andrea wrote:
A new version 3.35.5 is available:

In Advanced Settings, set Tile Priority Area = custom.
It will ask for an image that will used for custom tile priority. Black = maximum priority, 12x boost. White = minium priority, dropped to 0.05x.

In Advanced Settings, new option Tile Split
You can select which tiles are split. Based on Priority, Quality or a mix of both parameters. If you set Priority and use a custom Tile Priority Area then you practically have a fine tine option for which tiles are split. (For tiles with same priority, quality is considered as a second choice).

Several more improvements and bug fixes too are in this release. There was a bug in the Tile Split feature, as you noted, it was choosing tiles in the edge.

Hi Andrea,

the custom Priority Area seems to work: eyes, nose and mouth of the portraied are definitely better than before.
The same holds true for tile splitting. I haven't used all available options, but set to Priority, it works as advertised above.

Great work.

Many thanks from Kiel/Germany,
Christian.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Great!

Yes, with "Tile priority area=custom" I suggest to use "Tile Split = priority". It will selected tiles with higher priority. Then for tiles with same priority the quality is considered.

If you don't use custom Tile priority then I would suggest "Tile Split = quality". It will select tiles to be split based on quality only (fixed a bug of the previous release). It also has a reduced selection on tiles at the edge (I always try to avoid splitting them).

The default settings "Tile Split = auto" does exactly this. With "Tile priority=custom" it will use split=priority, else it will use split=quality.

The last option "Tile Split=priority and quality" is a mix between priority and quality. Sort of quality with priority weight. It took me some time to find a balance, and I'm still not exactly happy about. Sometimes it seems to give too much importance to priority other times too much importance to quality. You could try it out a bit.

The algorithm can be improved, for example I think it would be nice to not place too many split tiles together. To mix big and small tiles. In that case even a simple center priority map would be nice. Now it would place all split tiles in the center only, which is not nice.