AndreaPlanet.com - My door always open to you * Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hello World!

A new version is out. It is still in development. But the new features are so many, here is a summary:
New Features:
- New User Interface made with a simple and clear design
- Preview of how the original image is splitted into Tiles
- All input parameters are designed to be easy to understand and to insert
- It is possible to specify the parameters in any unit: pixel, inch, feet, meter, cm, tiles, tiles x row.
- It is possible to make mosaics looking like a wall, see Pattern option
- It is possible to specify individually the kind of variations to allow (Flipping, Rotating).
- It is possible to specify a custom color for the Border.
- Increased number of variations with AndreaMosaic Square Version when rotations is enabled.
- Two new Image Compare algorithm: Stronger and Weaker.
- The Image Collection support multiple Folders
- Improved Memory usage
- Improved Performance in several situations.
- Improved Mosaic Quality
- Option to save the resulting mosaic as a Windows BMP file for maximum image quality (no compression).
- Option to Split the final Mosaic in different pieces.
- Option to create automatically a Deep Zoom Composer project file to publish your mosaic on the web using Microsoft Silverlight Technology. Here a sample image.
- Support for internationalization. Soon AndreaMosaic can be translated into any world language. Translators Wanted.

Bug Fixes:
- Old algorithm used to rotate the tiles even if Flipping was disabled.
- Fixed bug when updating the collection and some images was removed.
- Several minor corrections

Please post any comments, suggestions or bugs here!

byeee
Andrea
:D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:27 am 

It's great! I love the new interface and the DZC output is a fantastic feature.
Only one (very small) gripe so far...
Could the Select Tiles/Add Folder Dialog allow you to select multiple folders at a time instead of having to do each one individually?
Thanks!
I'm gonna go back to playing with it...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

I updated Select Tiles window: selection is still single but you can Drag&Drop multiple folders there, like with the main window. Also I added two new folder types: Excluded Folders and Required Folders. The latter contains tiles that must be always used (your preferred few images). I also fixed finally the memory issues, now less memory is required to create a mosaic. This new features along with others in 3.23.1 beta!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:25 pm 
Fan

"The application failed to initialize properly (0x0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application."
:(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:20 am 
Site Admin

noonenoon wrote:
"The application failed to initialize properly (0x0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application."
:(

Yes, the file MSVCR80.DLL is missing in the setup. I will fix this with the next beta update. Right now you can download and copy that file into your system directory or C:\Program Files\AndreaMosaic directory from here

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:18 pm 
Fan

Thanks, but it's still not working.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

noonenoon wrote:
Thanks, but it's still not working.

Be sure that the file MSVCR80.DLL is located in the same directory of AndreaMosaic. In a day or two I will upload a new version that correct the install and offer new features.

Post subject: Mosaic bug
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:23 pm 
Fan

Hi...
I used a selection of my own pictures and received a final mosaic that contained gray spots of missing pictures. Can you tell me if it is something I did wrong? EVen if there was a plain gray image [there isnt] in my collection it would not have been expected to be placed as it was in the image. Thanks, great program!

Marc

Here is a small version of that image:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:44 pm 
Fan

I have had this problem with images of scanned document that were in my library, a white page with some black text or drawing will create this king of problem for now. do look for such an image (s) in your collection and remove it

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:39 pm 
Fan

scrambler wrote:
I have had this problem with images of scanned document that were in my library, a white page with some black text or drawing will create this king of problem for now. do look for such an image (s) in your collection and remove it

Ok thanks. I will do that. Since the post, I tried selecting file folders directly and not letting it default to the entire folder tree under a higher parent folder and this bypassed the problem which lends credence to your thought. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts.
Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yes there is a small problem with large bright tile images. It will be fixed with the next beta 3.23.5. A workaround is to resize your tiles (not the final mosaic) to 3 megapixel or less.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

10 September 2008 - New Release 3.23.4 Beta
New Features:
- New 'High Quality' Mosaic Processing. It produces better mosaics.
- New 'Unique Variations' Mosaic Processing. It is useful for creating mosaics with real tiles.
- New Color Change Processing in the More Options Window
- Full compatibility for Pen Drive deployment. You can use the program on your Pen Drive without installing it.
- Rotation option is split between 90 and 180 degrees rotation
- Professional version allows to create mosaics up to 8 Gigapixels (this is a image made of over 24 Gigabytes)
- Select Tiles: Added Exclude and Required Folder. Required images are always included in a mosaic even if they don't fit well.
- Select Tiles: Added Drag&Drop for multiple directory selecting
- Select Tiles: A preview of all available Images for the Tiles is shown in the fourth list
- Mosaic Information is shown in custom measure units
- Full support for Linux Distributions

Improvements:
- Improved Mosaic Quality
- Improved Performance
- Reduced Memory Usage
- Improved Status Message
- Improved layout when XP Theme is not available (Windows 2000, Linux, etc)

Changes:
- The resulting mosaic is not shown but only saved
- Select Tiles Window: Removed Analyze button, it is done automatically at each Save.
- Parameter Tile Size: nnn Tiles x Row is calculated always on Rows even with Portrait images.
- New ToolTip layout

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed several bugs

Known Issues:
- Large bright images (over 3 Megapixel) in your Tile Archive are used when not needed.
- Linux: the ? button doesn’t open the User Manual, but there is a shortcut in the Windows Start Menu.
- Linux: Web Page HTML file has wrong name of tiles, editing base folder is a workaround.
- Linux: When Saving a collection the default file extension is not automatically added.
- Mosaic size is shown with a wrong conversion when switching to feet or meter
- User Manual is not updated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:18 pm 
Fan

Andrea wrote:
Yes there is a small problem with large bright tile images. It will be fixed with the next beta 3.23.5. A workaround is to resize your tiles (not the final mosaic) to 3 megapixel or less.

Thank you!!! I am enjoying this program a lot. By the way, I DID take that picture of the Gorilla! She was huge!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:37 am 
Fan

Help please.... So confused. So I set up my main pic. Select my tiles. Load them... hit create Mosaic and this is what I get.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Dissension wrote:
Help please.... So confused. So I set up my main pic. Select my tiles. Load them... hit create Mosaic and this is what I get.

1. Use the beta release, it's easier and it works well.

2. Press "Select Tiles", then press "Save Archive". The program will analyze all available images. This is necessary to update any changes to the collection.

3. Set parameter "Use same tiles up to ": unlimited

4. Set parameter "Duplicate spacing to": unlimited. Or very low values, like 2 tiles, or 3 tiles.

byee
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:53 am 
Fan

First off thanks for the incredibly fast response. That was great! OK so I am using the beta actually. Nice program. Anyways when I switch the program to unlimited for spaces between duplicates it likes to use the same photo for majority of the pic which is annoying. So I switched it to 2 and then it came out much better but on 2 it leaves several blank black spots throughout the photo. Is this due to the fact that Im only using 8 pictures? Will using more alleviate this problem?

Also for the image... I have to use like 10,000 tiles for it to look really good. Where as with the sample kiwi strawberry image there is only 500 and it looks pretty good. Is this just due to the complications of the photo and the fact thats its people? O yea and it seems I have to have ATLEAST a color change of 75% to get a decent photo also.

So any suggestions on settings for picture of people vs scenery?

Thanks for all the help great program. Appreciate all your hard work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Yes, 8 pictures are really too few. Every image in a mosaic has 8 neighborhoods totalling 9 pictures minimum required to avoid black holes with a tile distance of 2. So get some more images, try at least with 10. And yes I suggest you to raise the Change Color parameter and to activate all the variations.

For the strawberry mosaic and other mosaics I used 500 images out of 20.000. More you have better will be the mosaic, but already with a base of 100 images you can create a nice result. Get as much as possible, that's the suggestion.

byee
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:20 pm 
Fan

OK so I ended up using 110 photo's. The effect is so much better the picture came out a lot nicer. Thank you for all your help. Your a cool dude and your program is amazing.

Take it easy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Dissension wrote:
OK so I ended up using 110 photo's. The effect is so much better the picture came out a lot nicer. Thank you for all your help. Your a cool dude and your program is amazing.

Take it easy

You're welcome :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:57 am 
Fan

Hello. Great program. I am having trouble with the latest Beta. I like the idea of the new options, but am unable to try them out. I installed the new version and go through all the options just as I have always before. I get the message at the bottom "All Parameters are correct :-)" and I click the "Create Mosaic" button and nothing ever happens. I can click that button all day long and nothing ever happens. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing makes a difference. I was able to use the previous beta using the same settings with no trouble at all. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:04 am 
Site Admin

cyberdman wrote:
Hello. Great program. I am having trouble with the latest Beta. I like the idea of the new options, but am unable to try them out. I installed the new version and go through all the options just as I have always before. I get the message at the bottom "All Parameters are correct :-)" and I click the "Create Mosaic" button and nothing ever happens. I can click that button all day long and nothing ever happens. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing makes a difference. I was able to use the previous beta using the same settings with no trouble at all. Thanks.

In some rare cases I don't show an error message, have to fix this. Did you selected at least one Tile Variant? If you select none of the check boxes then this is one case where it happens. Else please describe me all your parameters

Andrea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:59 pm 
Fan

Thanks for the reply. I never noticed until just now when you said that there is a check box for the Tile Variant "Original Tile". I had them all unchecked, this must be it. I'll try it again with that checked and I'll let you know what happens. I'm sure it will work this time. By the way, when would there be a situation where you wouldn't want that option checked?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

cyberdman wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I never noticed until just now when you said that there is a check box for the Tile Variant "Original Tile". I had them all unchecked, this must be it. I'll try it again with that checked and I'll let you know what happens. I'm sure it will work this time. By the way, when would there be a situation where you wouldn't want that option checked?

Thanks again.

If for example you want that all tiles are rotated then this is the way to go (you check only [x] Rotated 90). But, yes, it is maybe a non-sense to have the [ ] Original Tile option.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:18 am 
Fan

Thanks again for the reply and the help. Sure enough it is working right now and I have had a mosaic processing for a while now.

I have 2 more concerns:

On a couple of occasions I have had the mosaic creation process basically freeze up. The program seemed to be operating fine and it was still counting time down, but seemed to be stuck on adding a certain frame forever. Like it would say adding frame X of XXX and it would say that for like 2 days sometimes and I would eventually have to kill it, shut it down and re-do it and the next time it would be fine.

Next, what do I have to do to get it to recognize that it is using movie frames? I have my collection added and have the "Movie Frame" option toggled on and set a number of movie frames to skip in the "More Options" section, but it never seems to retain those options. If I set those options and then come back into the "More Options" section again before I hit the "Create Mosaic" button, those options are now turned off.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:31 am 
Site Admin

cyberdman wrote:
Thanks again for the reply and the help. Sure enough it is working right now and I have had a mosaic processing for a while now.

I have 2 more concerns:

On a couple of occasions I have had the mosaic creation process basically freeze up. The program seemed to be operating fine and it was still counting time down, but seemed to be stuck on adding a certain frame forever. Like it would say adding frame X of XXX and it would say that for like 2 days sometimes and I would eventually have to kill it, shut it down and re-do it and the next time it would be fine.

Next, what do I have to do to get it to recognize that it is using movie frames? I have my collection added and have the "Movie Frame" option toggled on and set a number of movie frames to skip in the "More Options" section, but it never seems to retain those options. If I set those options and then come back into the "More Options" section again before I hit the "Create Mosaic" button, those options are now turned off.

Thanks.

Hi,

About the Movie Frame option I will correct it in the next release (tomorrow). That feature is right now not compatible with the High Quality Algorithm but only with the Faster version so I am probably clearing wrongly that flag.

About freezing for how long you waited before shutting down the program? How many tiles are you using? How many images in your Tile Archive? I may send you a special version able to help me finding out the bug.

It is possible that the freezing is perfectly normal. Sometimes the program needs to rebuild the information about the tiles, and this is not shown. If time is updating then the program is still running.

P.S.: I just published a new beta release where I fixed the problem mentioned yesterday.

byee
Andrea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:35 am 
Site Admin

22 September 2008 - New Release 3.23.10 Beta
Improvements:
- Improved Mosaic Quality: Tile selection improved colour accuracy.
- Improved Black&White conversion.
- Improved Image Comparison algorithm
- Improved performance when loading large JPG files.
- DPI/PPI Resolution is now saved into the final Mosaic.

Changes:
- More messages, changes to existing messages and tooltip layout changes
- When selecting Black&White tiles the resulting mosaic will be automatically in Black&White

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed several bugs

Known Issues:
- Linux: the ? button doesn’t open the User Manual, but there is a shortcut in the Windows Start Menu.
- Linux: Web Page HTML file has wrong name of tiles, editing base folder is a workaround.
- Linux: When saving a collection the default file extension is not automatically added.
- Linux: Drag&Drop from File Manager/Desktop works well on GNOME but not on KDE.
- Web Page HTML file has wrong name for the main image if mosaic is splitted.
- User Manual is not updated.
- Movie Frame option cannot be activated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:30 pm 
Fan

Thanks for all the replies and great news about the new version! I hate to kill a mosaic I am right in the middle of, but I feel like I am wasting my time now when I would like to try out the new version. :D Oh well.

I am doing one right now that my image archive has somewhere around 25,000 images all extracted from an avi movie file. The mosaic it is working on is somewhere around 9100 tiles. I thought it froze up again, but it is still processing. It almost seems like it starts out fairly speedy and then slows down a lot and the longer it runs the slower it gets. Maybe it has something to do with the new unique variations tile processing options. I think the last one I did I quit the process when it was sitting on the same tile for about 3 hours. Before that I let one go for 2 days before I finally decided I had enough.

Thanks for everything! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

The Unique Variations/Custom Tile Variants is useless unless your tile archive contains images with three underscores in the name. The High Quality is the same in that case and somewhat faster.

I found a situation where a freeze with high CPU at step "Adding Tile" could happen. I fixed this for the next release scheduled for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:13 pm 
Fan

Three underscores? What do you mean? Should I be naming my tiles something special to be using advanced higher quality settings? Is this in the manual somewhere?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

cyberdman wrote:
Three underscores? What do you mean? Should I be naming my tiles something special to be using advanced higher quality settings? Is this in the manual somewhere?

There are actually three options
- Faster
- High Quality
- Custom Tile Variants

Custom Tile Variants is exactly like High Quality, but it allows you to create your own tile variations. You must provide for each variation a different image. For example: You want to add "45 degrees Rotation". To realize this create a copy of each file in your Tile Archive adding three undescores and of course rotate that image by 45 degrees. So if your original tile archive has the image MyPhoto.jpg then rename it to
MyPhoto___Original.jpg
and create another file called
MyPhoto__Rotate45.jpg
that is the rotation by 45 degrees of MyPhoto___Original.jpg

Using the High Quality algorithm AndreaMosaic will treat those two files as two different images, using Custom Tile Variations then AndreaMosaic will treat those two files as the same image, just a variation. This has an effect with the Tile Duplication parameters where AndreaMosaic tries to avoid placing duplicated tiles near each other.

Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

I just updated the user manual with a better description on how to use the custom variants.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:25 pm 

HI Andrea,

Thank you so much for putting such an awesome program together! I have a few questions. I'm trying to create a mosaic out of about 740 pictures I have taken with my digital camera. I would ideally like to blow it up to a 28x33" (poster size) however I feel that if I take it to the copy shop and they blow it up, the pictures will be very pixelated. My current parameters in the new version on the program are as follows:
Size Parameters: 28x33"
Mosaic Resolution: 300 pixels
Tile Size: 0.5 in
no duplicates
no duplicates
standard pattern
50% color change
original, 90 degrees, mirror are checked

What can I do with the program to make a high quality print to bring to a shop and how should I save the file to bring to them?

Thanks for all of your help!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:23 am 
Site Admin

In the More options --> File Format select Very High Quality (JPG file at 100%) or Best Quality (BMP file). At 300 PPI the resulting image has enough resolution for a high quality print. You really don't need more. Be sure to bring it to a professional printing shop.

Since you will have about 4000 tiles you may lower somewhat the Color Change parameter or raise a little the tile size (to 0.6" or 0.7"). But this is a personal taste :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:15 pm 
Fan

Andrea,
thank-you so much for the new updates to the program. The rotation option with no duplicates is a god send for doing mosaics with real world objects like the tiles I'm using.
I plan on using the Custom Variants function with rotated bottlecaps for one of my upcoming pieces. Great idea! Also, now I can scan both sides of a single tile or all six sides of a cube for even more variations!

I have a few suggestions:

When generating new mosaics it always overwrites the last one. Any chance of adding a file numeration option? eg. mosaic01.jpg, mosaic02.jpg so it doesn't overwrite the previous one?

It would be great to have an image label option that labels the tiles with the image name for creation real world mosaics. I do this myself separately already, but it effects the generation somewhat. see here
http://www.billfrymire.com/posts/tile-label1.jpg
What does the "mask file" under mosaic size do? Right now I load the Text report file (fantastic) into a database and do some custom image prep to tell the program to use the best tiles for the most important part of the image (like the eyes)

I'm unclear as to how the "+" and "-" buttons function for adding a source image.

All in all a great update to an already great program
Thanks again
Bill Frymire

http://www.billfrymire.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Bill,

Yes, I added some of the new features for real mosaics. That's why you can separate rotation and flipping. Also if you use AndreaMosaicSquare then you have more variants (all four rotations: 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees).

Ok, I take into account consecutive naming, probably adding a number in the name of the subdirectory.

About the label I already was thinking about this feature, but it's not on top of the new feature lists. Actually I suggest you to use some exiting tools (I suggest the free FastStone Viewer for adding labels). In that case you should create on your own all the variations (Custom Variants) adding the text to each tile/variation else it will get rotated or mirrored.

The maskfile is for mosaics with irregular tile shapes. More information in the usermanual.

+/- buttons are just used for adding more images to be converted into a mosaic, not just one. You can also do multiple drag & drops.

I also was thinking to add a weight to the mosaic areas so that certain areas will get a better result than other areas.

byee
Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:00 am 
Fan

Hello Andrea, If got some info on the custom variants feature you may want to know about or pass along.

They way it works right now, you have to have all the images you want to use this way in the SAME directory. Also, your manual documentation shows the original file with only two "underscores". It only works when all the files are using 3 underscores, including the original one.

It works great for my bottle cap mosaics, which I have in 16 different rotations and the program picks the best placement and the best rotation for each cap.

I don't know if it is possible, but a really useful feature would be to have a custom variants feature that could stipulate how many times to use each custom variant image.
EG.
I have 100 bottle caps of a certain type and 11 of another type.
Could you use a custom variants extension that would be like "picture01___original __100.jpg" and the program knows to use that image up to 100 times?
or "picture02___rotated __11.jpg" and the program knows to use that image up to 11 times?

That would be sweet!

I can brute force actually create 100 copies of the same image file with different numbers, but it's really going to slow down the process.

Here is an example of my latest work using the 90 degree rotation feature to create a better mosaic than I could achieve with any other program. I used my kids handprints inked onto the wooden blocks the add further detail to the piece.

http://www.billfrymire.com/blog/the-creative-eye/

keep up the good work!

cheers
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:10 am 
Fan

Great Job! I like it.

The only issue I have ever had was that I have to crop all of the photos to horizontal format. Will you ever have something that crops the photos automatically or can suggest any other workaround for this issueZ?

Thanks so much for this incredible software.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:46 am 
Site Admin

xzyla wrote:
Great Job! I like it.

The only issue I have ever had was that I have to crop all of the photos to horizontal format. Will you ever have something that crops the photos automatically or can suggest any other workaround for this issueZ?

You cropped portrait images to landscape format? You want something like this automatically?

Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:55 am 
Site Admin

Hello to everyone,

Today I published a new beta release, version 3.31. The main news are in the processing of the Maskfiles, Image resizing and Tile building. Since there are several changes anyone is welcome to test this new version.

News:
- It is possible to specify the location of the saved Mosaic.

Changes:
- New image resize and new tile building processing for reduced memory usage and improved quality.
- MaskFile use a new algorithm, with White as transparent color and higher tollerance
- Improved Interface for Extracting Frames from Video, with automatic Frame size calculation
- The Faster algorithm support now the Frame parameters and No-Duplicated tiles together.
- System error messages are in English now
- Added Italian Language

BugFix:
- Fixed wrong rotations of tiles (if main tile is rotated and flipping required)

Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:07 am 
Site Admin

frydesign wrote:
Hello Andrea, If got some info on the custom variants feature you may want to know about or pass along.

They way it works right now, you have to have all the images you want to use this way in the SAME directory. Also, your manual documentation shows the original file with only two "underscores". It only works when all the files are using 3 underscores, including the original one.

It works great for my bottle cap mosaics, which I have in 16 different rotations and the program picks the best placement and the best rotation for each cap.

I don't know if it is possible, but a really useful feature would be to have a custom variants feature that could stipulate how many times to use each custom variant image.
EG.
I have 100 bottle caps of a certain type and 11 of another type.
Could you use a custom variants extension that would be like "picture01___original __100.jpg" and the program knows to use that image up to 100 times?
or "picture02___rotated __11.jpg" and the program knows to use that image up to 11 times?

That would be sweet!

I can brute force actually create 100 copies of the same image file with different numbers, but it's really going to slow down the process.

Here is an example of my latest work using the 90 degree rotation feature to create a better mosaic than I could achieve with any other program. I used my kids handprints inked onto the wooden blocks the add further detail to the piece.

http://www.billfrymire.com/blog/the-creative-eye/

keep up the good work!

cheers
Bill

Hello Bill,

I like your artwork! :)

The easiest solution for your problem right now is to find a common multiplier and copy the images. In your case I would:

1. copy the picture01___original __100.jpg image 9 times
2. use picture02___rotated __11.jpg only once.
3. specify a maximum duplication count value of 11

So the original picture will be used up to 99 times and the rotated picture up to 11 times.

I know that 100 and 11 was just an example, but specifying a different tile count for every variation is a quite slow job for the user and something complicated for me too.

Do I understand well that you want a different duplication count for the variations. For example you want to use the original image up to 90% and one rotation up to 10%? Or you just want to give more priority to some tiles?
Or is it because you use AndreaMosaic as a template for real tiles (cap bottles with a limited count of items)?

byee
Andrea

P.S.: Thanks for info about the bug in the usermanual!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:09 am 
Fan

Hi Andrea, yes it is for bottle caps. and real tiles. Example , I have 50 "Becks" caps and 35 "Budwieser" caps. Using A program called "File Boss" I can create 50 and 25 copies of the caps that I photographed. I put them all in the same directory and AM will use each cap only once for every file. The rotation works fine and using the custom variants Andrea Mosaic will just use the best rotation for the closest match.

thanks, Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:24 am 
Fan

Hi andrea

i've make a lot collection of mask in this days that work perfectly with previous version. Now with the beta you've madeit i've got to change all of them. is there a way to implement even the previous algorithm in the new version of AM?

thanks Antonio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:29 am 
Fan

I've done some experiment using the maskfile and here you can see the pictures i've made.

picture 1
made with version 3.30 you can see that even if the tiles are irregular one tile is connected to the closer one
[come puoi vedere l'agoritmo della versione 3.30 genera una immagine dove le tessere irregolari sono comunque connesse l'una all'altra]

picture 2
with the new beta (there is a black contour one the white) and there's no way to eliminate it
[con la nuova beta in corrispondena della zone bianche della maskera si generano nel mosaico delle linee nere che non è possibile rimuovere]

I hope this could help you...meanwhile i'll go back to previous version!!!

Spero che questo piccolo esperiemento ti sia utile nel frattempo tornerò a giocare con la versione 3.30

Antonio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:43 am 
Site Admin

village9991 wrote:
Hi andrea

i've make a lot collection of mask in this days that work perfectly with previous version. Now with the beta you've madeit i've got to change all of them. is there a way to implement even the previous algorithm in the new version of AM?

thanks Antonio

Hello Antonio,

If you are not in hurry then yes, it is possible (I need to upgrade AndreaMosaic, it will take some time, maybe a month).

The new algorithm uses (nearly) exact colors to define the boundaries of the tiles. And anything that has a White color is considered to be a background (no tiles at all, it will use the colore defined in More Options->Border Color). So you use White to define the borders of the tiles or areas of the mosaic that should not be used as tiles.

Best wishes for a happy 2009
Andrea

P.S.: I sent you a sample maskfile for the new version

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:22 am 
Site Admin

23 February 2009 - New Beta Release 3.31.6
News:
- New patterns 'Parquet' and 'Mixed' for allowing Landscape and Portrait tiles in the same mosaic.
- Minor user interface fixes.

I like much the new Parquet layout :)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:41 am 

Hi Andrea, thanks for the software it's amazing!

Does exactly what I need it to do.

One query though, I'm trying to create a large mosaic (about 17 inches by 83) containing about 25,000 tiles.

When I put 15,000 tiles into the tile size box it works fine, but after about 18,000 it says change the tile size, the maximum size is 32767.

Any ideas on why I'm getting this?

The approximate tile count is only 18480 when it's reading this.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:50 am 

could you ad dual core support?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

kj6ythgfg wrote:
could you ad dual core support?

I need a dual core PC...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:41 am 
Fan

Andrea wrote:
xzyla wrote:
Great Job! I like it.

You cropped portrait images to landscape format? You want something like this automatically?

Andrea

Yes, I am having to manually crop all vertical photos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:39 pm 
Fan

Can I run this beta if I already have the Professional version installed on my MAC? (And someone, please get poor Andreas a dual core processor ... preferably a MAC :P