AndreaPlanet.com - My door always open to you * Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:12 am 
Is there a way to make andreamosaic produce a mosaic and also output all of the edited source images into a folder?

My local photo shop will print 100 6x4inch photos from a cd for less than £10, and i'd like to make some big photo mosaics to brighten up my house.

~ed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Every source image (if used) will be "edited" (changed) for the mosaic in a different way. Except if you use a value of 0 for the modify parameter. In that case the source image will be used as it is.

The report to text file option will create a text file with the names of the images that will be used and the relative position.

But maybe I did not understand your real needs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:08 am 
defink wrote:
Is there a way to make andreamosaic produce a mosaic and also output all of the edited source images into a folder?

My local photo shop will print 100 6x4inch photos from a cd for less than £10, and i'd like to make some big photo mosaics to brighten up my house.

~ed

Are you trying to take the high-resolution mosaic file and then break it up into 6x4 pieces for printing, then assemble them them back into the full size mosaic?
I was going to take that approach to get a poster size print, say 30x20", which would be 25 4x6 prints when laid out 5x5. I made one large mosaic image, then used photoshop to cut out 4x6 squares.
The problem with that was that the 4x6 prints are not very precise, and you will lose some detail around the edges in the prints. Depending on the image that may not matter for you but I didn't want that in my poster.
Instead I found a place that does cheap large prints and used the large mosaic.

http://pephoto.com/pricing.htm does $9.99 20x30" prints. That was better for me because I didn't have to glue a bunch of 4x6 prints to a backer board and line everything up perfectly. Here's a list of other online photo shops. http://www.olegkikin.com/onlineprinting.php One of these might be able to ship to your area. Of course at .10/print you can afford to do the piecemeal method and see how it turns out.

-------------

http://badsegue.org

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:15 pm 
badsegue wrote:
Are you trying to take the high-resolution mosaic file and then break it up into 6x4 pieces for printing, then assemble them them back into the full size mosaic?

that was the plan, i've always had a wall coverd in 6x4 prints, in no particular order.
I think it would be a cool effect to have the wall of prints which looks normal up close but, but is actually a picture itself from a distance.

I'll post back to here if it works out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:15 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
badsegue wrote:

that was the plan, i've always had a wall coverd in 6x4 prints, in no particular order.
I think it would be a cool effect to have the wall of prints which looks normal up close but, but is actually a picture itself from a distance.

I'll post back to here if it works out.

Something that might help you to get uniform images for the prints is an image slicing program. Adobe ImageReady has this feature. Typically these are used to take a larger image and break it up into smaller pieces which are then reassembled in an html page. This can improve load times in browsers. We can use this to make a poster out of cheap 4x6 prints.

In ImageReady I was able to create a slice in a specific proportion, then you can have to program divide that slice into more slices by dividing it into a specified number of horizontal and vertical components. This is much simpler than doing the slicing manually by cutting out each image one at a time, which is what I tried originally.

There are a bunch of programs that can do this type of operation. Just do a search on "image slicing".

-------------------
http://badsegue.org