AndreaPlanet.com - My door always open to you * Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:05 am 
Fan

First of all I would like to say... this software is amazing. Andrea is a genius!

I have been using the software for some time now and there is an irritation that takes me a lot of manual time that I wondered if there was a workaround solution.

I have been manually cropping all vertical images to avoid having the photos rotate sideways. Is there a way (or setting) that can crop all vertical (long) photos so they do not flip sideways? I have tried most of the flip options but have had no success having all of the photos display right side up and not flip the vertical photos sideways.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I am working on this problem right now. Send me an email if you ever want to get some preliminary version testing the new features.

byee
Andrea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:17 am 

First, thank you for this wonderful program! We had about 14,000 digital photos we have taken and/or scanned over the years and I wanted to create a "family photographic mosaic". Your program did a wonderful job and was a wonderful birthday/father's day gift for my dad.

After having used the program for this task and some other mosaics, I had the same concern. I wish that there was some way to say, "don't rotate". Another request would be for a way to tell the program to ignore certain subdirectories when building the database. For example, in our Pictures folder I had many subfolders for photos I wanted, but quite a few that were of unrelated events, fax images, desktop wallpaper, screenshots, etc.

As it turned out, I ended up copying the 14,000 photos (ignoring directories I didn't want). Then I spent about 2½ hours going through and manually deleting all the vertical photos. That brought it down to about 10,000 photos and then I could make the mosaic without the vertical photos getting turned. (I actually missed a few, but fortunately not too many in the mosaic.)

If you could simply add a feature like the following:
--> If a photo is the wrong orientation, options should be: rotate, crop, don't include
--> If a photo (after rotation perhaps) is the wrong size, options should be: crop middle, crop top, crop bottom, don't include

One last "nice to have" feature would be the ability to "fix" a mosaic after processing. When the final mosaic is done, it would be nice to go through and say "I don't like this picture, remove all copies from the mosaic and replace with a substitute". Right now the only option is to manually find that photo in the folders, delete it, update the database and then regenerate the mosaic... which takes some time.

Anyway, I love the program and made another poster the other day to put in my office. My co-workers are amazed. I told them to come here to download the program, so I expect they'll be making photographic mosaics too.

Edit: One other feature would be the ability to load multiple photo databases for a mosaic. So if I wanted to use the "flowers" database and the "nature" database for one picture, I could. Or if I wanted "birthdays" combined with "celebrations" and "closeups", that should be possible too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:27 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions. I am already working on all of the features you are describing. Just stay tuned.

byee
Andrea