AndreaPlanet.com - My door always open to you * Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: memory problem
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:09 am 
Fan

I am trying to create a huge mosaic. The idea is to use it in a video production. I want to zoom in into the image (someone´s face) untill I can see the mosaics and fill the entire screen (720x480 window) with one single mosaic without distortions or bluring.
I am doing some tests but I get the "out of memory" message during the mosaic creation. The actual test is not that big:
Standard , JPEG quality 100%.

Still, I get the same memory error and I have 2GB ram.
Question.... must the library images be too small? how small? Can they be big as 12 megapixels images? 7 megapixels images?
I am starting to guess that processing such big images is my problem.

Can you give me a tip?

thank you

Paulo Felberg
Ro de Janeiro, Brazil.

Post subject: Re: memory problem
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, first of all I suggest you to resize your images to the maximum mosaic tile size (or a double size of it). If every tile is no bigger than 800x600 pixels (for example) then resize all images in your image collection to that dimensions. You can use the Freeware FastStone Viewer (http://www.faststone.org) to do this and to browser photos too (even RAW files). It's a very nice program.

How many tiles are in your mosaic? Around 15000? Then please drop the distance between duplicated tiles from 15 to 5. In the latest beta release I reduced the memory usage in such a situation.

Maybe there is a problem with a specific image that is giving this message. Please write me an email so I can send you a beta release to help me finding the problem.

byee
Andrea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:34 pm 
Fan

Andrea,

I have downsampled all images as you requested.
Still, I am having some difficulties to setup the mosaic project due to file size limitations.
I wish I could have 720 pixel mosaic tile width but it seems quite impossible to me.
currently, I can´t have even 200 tiles per row.
My current settings are....
1500 images for tiles;
Standard

I will let you know about my results later.
I don´t have your e-mail address, but you can e-mail me.

again,

Thanks in advance

Paulo Felberg
Rio de Janeiro
Brasil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:39 pm 
Fan

The error remains, Andrea.

After 96.57% done, I got this sort of error message:

"Out of memory while creating an image with 149021600 pixels".
The settings were the mentioned above.

I am in the dark. Please help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:57 pm 
Fan

I changed the width of the tile to 100 and I got a working result. No errors.
But it may be far from the desired result.
Do I need a pro version? I don´t care about paying, since it can gimme the proper result.

tks

Paulo Felberg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Paulo,

I found the problem with the memory handling, and I will fix this for the next release. I can send you a beta version for to test it.
But if you are in hurry then you can ask for the professional version (that release use a different saving algorithm).

byee
Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:41 pm 
Fan

Hi,
I recently downloaded your program, and started testing it with great pleasure, congratulation.

I am running into the same memory problem described in this thread, basically I cannot seem to be able to go above a mosaic with 100 x 100 images, each 100 pixel wide, above that, it will eventually come up with a memory error message, although memory usage is only 1.1 Gb out of the 2Gb I have.

You mentionned you found what the issue is, if you have a beta, I would be glad to test it.

On another note, I was wondering if you had considered adding the possibility to generate a Deep Zoom project out of your program, instead of a very large image. This would allow us to use your program to generate the reference / position of all the images inside the mosaic, then use Deep Zoom (silverlight integrated seadragon functionnality) to generate the mosaic keeping the full resolution of each individual image, and move in real time withing them.

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/new ... cle05.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Congratulation again on a great program !

PS: If anything Microsoft may be interested in buying your application to integrate in their Deep Zoom program, where they have already added panoramic stiching :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Scrambler,

the latest beta of AndreaMosaic include a mosaic splitting function. Rob used it to create this mosaic using deep zoom and silverlight
http://robburke.net/2008/08/08/fractlol/
I will add soon features for a easier integration with deep zoom.

I will send you the latest beta.

Oh... Microsoft interested in photo mosaics? This isn't a good news for photomosaic software developers.. They may release some free software that creates mosaics. Even if MS software is worse than AndreaMosaic they have the marketing power to kill commercial and free programs, like they did for many small niches.

byeee
Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:57 pm 
Fan

Thanks Andrea,

I'll test and let you know when I get it. Terrific to hear you are looking in the deepzoom integration.

I did not mean to upset you with Microsoft hint :? . I actually doubt deep zoom will remain free once out of beta. And even if free, between free and free, quality will always win (in my book at least)

Keep up the great work !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, quality wins if you know about it's existence. Internet Explorer killed Netscape Navigator only because it was pre-installed since Windows 95. For most users it was just easier and simpler to use it. Still IE is mostly used even if Firefox and Safari are far better.

Give me some hours for sending the new version (finishing the new image collection window), so you get the latest cooked one, with a completely new user interface, i'm sure you will like it.