AndreaPlanet.com - My door always open to you * Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Expertise needed
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:02 am 
Fan

Hi Andrea

I am an architect working on an exhibition project for the architectural biennale in Venice. In my projekt I am very interested in using your program to turn a lot of images into one big image representing the worlds climate zones. I have a few questions.

Total image size will be approximately. 5m x 27m consisting of quite big tiles (20cm x 20cm). The image will be made up of around 3000 images (I will mayby only have around 300, but then let each image be dublicated 10 times)

Is this at all possible?
I will probably need to divide my big image into smaller parts?

All the small photos (20cm x 20 cm) are images of nature... Nature in all kinds of forms. Mountains, fields, water, flooding, landscapes, drought, etc... I have found some images, but will need many
more...

Do you know any good places where I can find a big photocollection of images of nature? And since this is for an echibition the images should not be copyrighted... I need to find some, that I can use freely. Do you know if this is possible?

And the last question. Is it allowed for me to use your program when the photomosaic will be presented at an exhibition... In terms of copyright?

I look forward to hearing from you, and I would very much appreciate your help.

Kind regards

Mads Lassen, lassenmads@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Expertise needed
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:21 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

yes you can use freely my program. If you have some budget then a donation is appreciated.

3000 tiles for the mosaic are not a problem. But you may need a very high resolution mosaic image. This depend on the printing quality, on the required PPI (pixel per inch, not DPI dot per inch). The professional version is able to create a single 8 gigapixel mosaic, but if this size is not enough I can help you for to make a bigger mosaic.

So you need to know first of all how you want print the image. When you must complete the project?

Obtaining some high resolution nature images to use for your project is also possible.

byee
Andrea

P.S.: will answer you after sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:44 am 
Fan

Hi Andrea

Thank you for your fast reply.

The photomosaic, that should end up looking like the climatezones I can produce allmost as big as it is needed because it is a quite simple image... Basically it consists of four different colours.

I am interested in hearing more about where to obtain high resolution nature images. I really need a lot of those... And due to copyright I need to find images that are not under any law of protection! The exhibition will be visited of more than 80 000 people, so therefore I need to make sure that I am not breaking any rules due to copyright.

I am very interested in knowing more about how to split the final mosaic image in several big pieces.

I am planning to print the images in the paper-format A0 (841mmx1189mm) this allows me to have 4 x 5(6) tiles on each print.

The project will be presented at the architectural biennale in Venice medio september, but will probably be printet medio August.

I can send you some images later to show how I want the project to look like.

Kind regards

Mads Rudi Lassen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:58 am 
Site Admin

Hello!

first of all sorry for the late answer.

Splitting your source image is not difficult, programs like Photoshop include such features, in the worst case you can do it by hand since you are going to print only 4x6=24 images. If every image is in format A0, 84x119cm then for a 300 PPI quality you need (84/2.54*300)x(119/2.54*300) pixels, that is about 10.000x14.000, about 140Megapixels each (The free version of AndreaMosaic can create mosaics up to 200 Megapixels).

So your current problem is how to get good high resolution images. I am right now working on this. In the meantime I can give you some thousands images that you can use for testing, write me an email for to get the download link.

byee
Andrea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:23 am 
Fan

Hi Andrea

Thank you for your reply. I would very much appreciate if you could help me find a big collection of images of nature that are royalty-free. At the moment I have contacted a lot of people on Flickr in order to find images.

This is what I am writing to the people on Flickr.com just so you know what I am looking for:

"Dear ?

We have found interest in your photo and would like you to participate in an exhibition project about climate change, aiming towards a sustainable future. The exhibition is at the danish pavillon at the 11th International Architecture Biennale in Venice, September 2008.

We are mainly looking for three kinds of photos

1. Images of “pure” nature
2. Images of cultivated nature
3. Aesthetic images of natural disasters. (flooding, drought, tornados ect)

In general we are looking for beautiful images presenting nature in all kinds of ways.

You will not receive any financial founds - but you will credited by name - and your image will have the opportunity to be part of a highly respected architecture exhibition, with more than 80 000 visitors.

We encourage you to recommend any of your friends who you may find of interest to this project.

Would you like to participate?

Pleace write me a flickrmail.

Kind regards

Mads Rudi Lassen - Arkitekt MAA/ Architect MAA
CEBRA a/s, arkitekter maa - Vesterbro Torv 1-3, 2sal - DK - 8000 Aarhus C"

I would very much appreciate your help finding som images, because I think this is going to be the biggest challenge.

Kind regards

Mads Lassen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

Yes, this is what I wanted to do. A program for downloading the flickr images. You don't have to ask their permission, many images has the Creative Common license, so you can use them commercially. You only must give the credit of the image, but this is what you want to do already.

http://www.flickr.com/search/advanced/

Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:28 am 
Fan

Hi Andrea

I am a bit confused about this creative common. I have tried to read through the rules, but maybe you can tell me in a more simple way since you are used to working with images.

When I search for images in the link you sent me, and when I click the following:

- Only search within Creative Commons-licensed content

- Find content to use commercially

- Find content to modify, adapt, or build upon

Am I then free to use the images and show them in an exhibition, and use the images for press material? As long as I remember to credit the photo by name?

Is that correctly understood?

I hope you can help me with my question.

Kind regards

Mads Lassen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:03 am 
Site Admin

There are different license

http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

In your case I think you should find images with only the (BY) logo. So you can make derivative works (a mosaic is a derivative work imho) and you can use it commercially. Yes, you must give credit to the author for every image you use.

In other words you must check all the [x] check boxes in the advanced search.

Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:37 am 
Fan

Hi Andrea

Thank you VERY much. I appreciate your help.

Kind regards

Mads Lassen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:12 am 
Fan

Hi again Andrea

If i buy the pro-version of your program how big a photomosaic is it then possible do? the total photomosaic that we are going to do is approximately
5m x 27m and the quality of the final image should be around 200 dpi. (ppi?)

Do you know how long it would take for your program to do a mosaic like that? one day? one week?

I am only asking so I know when I have to start finalising the project.

by the way thank you very much for your search-tip in Flickr. It has been very usefull.

Kind regards

Mads Lassen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

The pro version is actually limited to a maximum of 8 Gigapixel mosaics.

Your final mosaic is:
meters: 5m x 27m
inchs: 197" x 1063"
pixels (at 200 PPI): 39400 x 212600 = about 8 Gigapixels.

Do you really need such a high resolution?

Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:14 am 
Fan

Hi Andrea

Maybe it will be good enough with 150 ppi, and then I will divide the image into four parts... so that there will be four images with the following format:

meters: 5m x 7m
inches 197" x 280"
pixels: 29550 x 42000 = about 1,25 Gigapixels

Do you know approximately how long it will do a mosaic like that?

Kind regards

Mads Lassen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:34 am 
Site Admin

The computation time depend on the number of tiles in the mosaic and in the image collection. The final pixel size does not change much the computation time. A 10.000 tile mosaic created from a Image Collection of about 100.000 images will complete in about an hour.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:30 am 
Fan

Hi again Andrea

I would very much like to buy the pro-version of the program. How do I do that? Do I make a donation of 38$ and then you will send me a version? Or can I simply download the pro-version when I have paid?

Kind regards

Mads Lassen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:54 am 
Fan

Hi again

I just made a donation of 38$. On the billing address is the name "Kim Bangsgaard Olesen". He is one of my partners in the company. Let me know how to proceed in order to download the pro-version of your wonderfull program.

Finally I would like to add, that if you have any good images of nature that you have taken yourselve, then I would like to invite you to participate in the project we are doing. we are using images in the format 20cm X 20cm, 200 ppi. Your image will be part of a huge mosaic 5m X 27m that will be presented at the Danish Pavillon at the Architectural Biennale in Venice. (http://www.labiennale.org). I am working for a company called CEBRA (http://www.cebra.info) and we are doing the danish contribution to this years biennale together with the Danish Architecture Center (http://www.dac.dk).

One last thing:

Is it possible to make your program write a name on each of the tiles in the photomosaic? I know that it is possible to see the name in the text report, but can your program somehow write the names onto the images?

Kind regards

Mads Lassen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Wonderful :)

I sent you an email for the details about the name in the mosaic and other aspects too :)

Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

There is a easy and fast (and free) solution for to adding text to every image.
Download and install the faststone viewer, it is a very nice program for browsing images.
It allow also to do batch conversions with text insert.

1. open faststone
2. inside the program select the directory containing the images you want to process
3. press F3
4. add the directories/images you want and set the Output Folder where to store the output images.
5. select output format JPG
6. set checkbox [x] Use Advanced Options and press button Advanced Options
7. select the resize tab and set [x] Use Resize/Resample
8. select the new size. This is to be sure that all tiles/images will have the same size, so that the font is of the same size.
7. select the text tab and [x] Set Text
8. you can now add some text based on the file parameters (filename, EXIF info, etc)
9. press OK then press START

At the end you will get new images with a text written over. The only problem is that if you allow AndreaMosaic to do variations (rotate, horizontal/vertical flip) then the text will get such modification too. So you are limited on the number of variations, i.e. quality of the final mosaic.

Andrea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:57 am 
Fan

Hi again

Thank you very much for your help and patience. I appreciate it very much. At the moment I am dooing tests of the mosaics, but I have a problem when I want to open the file in Photoshop!

Image size is: 40335 X 28800, 292 mB

I get the message: "could not complete your request because of a problem parsing the jpeg data"
I think this is weird because photoshop should be able to handle up to 300 000 x 300 000 pixel images in jpeg-format.
I am able to open the image in the fax-viewer and it looks fine, but photoshop wan´t open it. Is there a risk that I am using an image in the mosaic that is somehow damaging the total image? Have you seen this problem before?

I am starting to do the final mosaic on monday, and we are sending it to print later next week.

By the way. Your program is amasing! And the pro-version is really really cool!

Thanks

Mads Lassen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Ciaooo,

I don't know why you get that error. Maybe because it's width is over 32000 pixels.
The JPG file is a 1 Gigapixel image, that is at least 3 Gigabyte of uncompressed data. You may try to open the JPG file with another program, and save it in PSD or TIFF. But not all programs can handle such a big size. Photoshop can handle this size but I don't know why you get the error. And I don't think that the single tiles can make the final mosaic "bad" for Photoshop.

I will send you a beta version that is able to split the final mosaic, you can split it in two pieces and use then Photoshop to join them if you need one big image. Give me a day or two for to complete it.

Within two days I can't add the Text feature. But there is another workaround. Using Faststone you can create a copy of all your images (like in the example above) using Batch Convert F3 and then the Rotate/Flip option to rotate them horizontally. Then after you doubled all your images into another directory then you can add to all images (Standard and Flipped) the text as described above.
Only bad aspect is that for every image you have also the flipped version so you risk that they are used nearly on the same place (the distance parameter does not count since they are considered different images).

Andrea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:42 am 
Fan

Hi Andrea

Do you have the version where it is possible to divide the mosaic? I am very interested in trying that version because I am spending a lot of time in photoshop to divide the mosaics into smaller pieces.

Is it possible that I can try that version with the "split mosaic" button?

Regarding the credits on the images I have now used the faststone program to write the names. Thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Mads

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:21 am 
Site Admin

I hope to send you the new beta today :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:15 am 
Fan

Thank you very much...

How would you like to be creditted?

http://www.andreaplanet.com or do you prefer something else?

Kind Regards

Mads

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:18 am 
Site Admin

You credit the program AndreaMosaic :)
http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic (but also http://www.andreaplanet.com or http://www.andreamosaic.org if you are out of space)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:27 am 
Fan

Ok I will do that. I am quite sure that we have enough space to credit you the way you would like!

The program AndreaMosaic

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic

If you can manage to send the new beta-version I would very much appreciate it, because I am starting to do the final mosaics later to day/evening.
That would be very very cool!

Thanks