AndreaPlanet.com - My door always open to you * Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:03 am 
I'm working on an art project where I'd like to create a mosaic. The only thing that I really, really need to figure out is there anyway to specify the print size of each cell. I basically need to find a way to make each cell like an inch wide by 3/4 inch tall or something close to that. Also, is there anyway in the program to make an image 300 ppi rather than 75?

PS. Thanks for donating your awesome program and your swell perspective on life. I wish you the most blessings life can offer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

You only have to specify the width of every tile. For high quality use a width of 300 pixels for example.

The DPI inside the JPG file has nothing is just a setting. When you are going to print the image you have to resize it to the paper size without resampling the image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:53 pm 
Is there anyway or formula to tell how many inches 300 pixels translates to? What I'm going to be trying to do is make very even pieces like 4 x 6 to help me print out my mosaics and stitch together a big mosaic. What I'm trying to avoid is cutting through in the middle of a tile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

For a high quality print if you have 200 pixels x inch then you get a high quality print. With 6 inch wide you have to choose how many tiles you want for every row. Let's say 12 tiles, so every tile is 1/2 inch.

The parameters for AM are then:
Number of tiles x row: 12
Widt of every tile: 200 pixel (so you have 400 pixels x inch, very much)

:)

Post subject: Formulas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:52 pm 
Fan

Guest,

Since different output devices (printers, usually) have different technologies and resolutions, the original image resolution is usually interpreted/converted by the printer driver to whatever the printer requires. You still need a decent image to start with and, as Andrea says, 200 dpi is a good place to start. So how can you use this in a formula? Let's say....

You're using an image resolution of 200 dpi (pixels)
You're printing on paper that is 4 inches wide by 6 inches tall
This means your final image should be: 200 pixels/inch * 4 inches = 800 pixels wide by 200 pixels/inch * 4 inches = 1200 pixels tall
If you want your images to print at 1 inch wide by .75 inch tall on this 4 inch x 6 inch paper, you have:
width: 4 inches / 1 inch/image = 4 images wide by 6 inches / .75 inch/image = 8 images tall (4 * 8 = 32 images total).
Each tile image should be: 1 inch * 200 dpi = 200 pixels wide by .75 inch * 200 dpi = 150 pixels tall.

The final result for 200 dpi would mean you're using 200x150 pixel tiles, 4 across and 8 down on 4 x 6 inch output paper to achieve tiles 1 x .75 inches.

Hope this helps...

mike@slavis.com